Tuesday 17 September 2019

Special Report: Krung Thep Customs

Alright, it is time for a custom report again! Way too long since I got to make use of this tag. This time we are going to take a look at a couple of figures that I found while recently digging around in the toy markets in Bangkok. In fact I was just on my way to the cashier to pay for a couple of figures I had methodically sought out among the usual heaps of Ultramen, lightly dressed anime girls and diecast cars.

And bam! There, showcased in a sealed display of the type I usually do not bother with, I found maybe a dozen or so Gundam Gashapon and Shokugan figures that had been painted up quite nicely. While I was already over my budget (yeah, you know how it is...) I still had to pick up at least a couple of them just to be able to showcase them here on the blog. Unfortunately I was not able to learn from the seller who is actually behind these designs. Who knows, perhaps through posting them on here we will eventually come to know.
  

FW SD Gundam NEO - MS-18E Kämpfer

Do you remember these guys? FusionWorks, the company behind the detailed STANDart and Converge figure lines also dabbled a bit in the compact super deformed format. The result was a mere three sets of highly detailed SD figures roughly the size of the contemporary Senshi Forte figures. The series died off quickly, my best guess is that they were too expensive to produce.


The first figure has a really gritty style going on about it. The common theme among the figures I saw in this display was that they were all battle damaged and worn from extensive operations in the field. I liked this so much that I also picked up a second unit with quite a different vibe:




This figure veers off into more custom territory with a darker blue coat and eerie red glow emanating from the thrusters of the suit. I love these guys so much!

As you can see from this comparison shot, the basic Kämpfer figure has a very detailed and artistic colour scheme itself. It is such a shame this figure series was not allowed to grow and prosper.
 

Gundam Converge - RMS-141 Xeku Eins

You've seen me showcase a custom Xeku Eins here on the blog before and here it returns once more in a really messed up colour scheme.




This machine looks like it has been flying in and out of massive billowing clouds of burning oil after having bombed a refinery or something to that effect. Brutal!

Here is the vanilla Converge Xeku Eins next to two different themed customs, a Titans use machine to the left and the new banged up machine on the right.
  

Mobile Suit Ensemble - RX-124 Gundam TR-6 Woundwort

The Woundwort was released as a regular figure in the Ensemble line-up in 2017. Here it has been transformed into something more bizarre and almost ethereal and just reeking of evil.




There are definitely some bad vibe newtype shenanigans going on here. A great idea and well executed (well, except for the backside on the right leg which seems to have been forgotten in the remake...).



Notice the clever parts-swap on the custom Woundwort. The shoulder pieces are used as thighs and vice versa, creating a rather different and top-heavy profile of this bizarre mobile suit. This is the advantage of the Ensemble figures having standardized joints and anatomy.

So there you have it folks, a bit of a short post this time. Perhaps in the future I will be able to pick up a couple more of these figures. And to the unknown designer who painted these, nice job and keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment