Wednesday 12 April 2023

Gundam Converge CORE 032 : Real Type II set


The Real Type-aesthetic is a recurring concept in the Converge line and a clever way for Bandai to recycle their molds. The concept stems from the Mobile Suit Variation lore were it was originally conceived as a low visibility colour scheme which is pretty hilarious because the palette is usually still on the garish side. Something I really enjoy personally, although more "modern" Gundam shows do a better job of realistic and dull dark blue and gray colour schemes, just think Earth Federation in the Unicorn era for example. The three suits we will look closer at today however are from the original U.C.0079 era and so a tad more colourful.


Released as the 32nd Premium Bandai Converge CORE set the trio could be purchased only through the P-Bandai program with a price tag of ¥3500. At the time of writing the price has gone up a bit on the secondary market and the general availability is still low there. Expect to pay around ¥5000 if you find it at Mandarake for example.


The rather dull looking box is very light on information, perhaps because Bandai expects anyone who buys it to be readily familiar with the retail figures that this set has been based upon. There isn't even an info-sheet with build instructions included.



MS-07B Gouf (Real Type Color ver.)


The most striking colour scheme to be found here belongs to the Gouf, which has traded in its mostly flat medium blue paint scheme for an exotic combo of olive green and pale yellow combined with attractive features in white and orange scattered around the various bodyparts. This is a ride worth of an elite pilot.


Just like the retail figure before it the Gouf has an unusual amount of parts available to it. With two optional left and right arms you have a lot of customization options to choose from. A word of warning is in place regarding the head antenna. This thing is very easy to dislodge and depending on how you plan to store your figure consider gluing it in place.


Replacing the Gouf's Heat Rod and Hand Cannon with the Heat Sword and an empty left hand. The Heat Sword that came with my figure is a bit bent which is unfortunate for such an eye-catching component. Par for the course for Converge these days I'm afraid.


The Real Type Gouf is based on the retail figure from Converge #12 which appeared in October 2018. The original figure has the same gear options and I think I will purchase a second one to be able to display the different gear options side by side.


The colour scheme of the Real Type Gouf is very rare in figure form. It has been around for quite some time in the HG 1/144 kit line but the only other occurrence I have seen in pre-painted form is this Flight Ops keyring figure from Banpresto. I would wager that you can also find it in normal proportions as a high quality keyring figure from the same brand; there are just so many obscure keyring figures out there.






RGM-79 GM (Real Type Color ver.)


Less exotic perhaps is the real type-version of the GM. Now, if Real Type colours were intended to lower the visibility of the mobile suits this would be a complete failure as the bright white colour stands out even among a group of regular GM's... Besides the obvious colour change we also have several more subtle changes such as the main visor switching from green to blue and the shield getting a dark gray border. The back of the figure is less interesting and is almost entirely white, they could have least have dabbed a bit of metallic colour on the exposed knee joints.


The new GM figure is the only figure in this set to receive an additional accessory compared to its retail release. The original figure only received a Beam Spray Gun while the real Type-figure adds the Hyper Bazooka. However, the retail GM was received in a wave together with a Gundam carrying two bazookas of the same type and so was always intended to be compatible with this accessory. I am a little bit disappointed that the GM hasn't received a new beam saber accessory and this would have been a good place to introduce it.


To equip the Hyper Bazooka you pull its handlebar from the weapon and insert it into the GM's hand, and then re-attach the bazooka on top. The fit isn't perfect on my figure. I would have liked the handlebar to slip down a couple extra millimeters as the weapon doesn't rest on the shoulder. Not sure if this is a manufacturing variation or by design


The Converge Sharp version of the GM is a pretty recent figure belonging to wave 22 which released in November 2021. I say recent in the sense that we are still waiting for Converge #23 to be released this summer...


The Real-Type GM has been seen multiple times in recent years. It was branded as a Marking Plus version of the regular Mobile Suit Ensemble figure (released in the first colour variation set of that line in December 2017) and also appeared as a colour variation SP figure in the ill-fated MicroWars figure line, where it came bundled with a pilot in March 2020.






MS-05B Zaku I (Real Type Color ver.)


Another mobile suit that has had a real Renaissance in Converge as of late is the humble Zaku I. It began its life as a puny unarmed figure in 2012 but as since received a full set of weapons and now finally also the real-colour treatment. I still can't understand why it hasn't popped up in Mobile Suit Ensemble, its proportions are perfect for an articulated figure and its small footprint makes it ideal as a set-filler figure next to something more over the top. Even its real-type style is relatively muted and highly reminiscent of its original colour scheme but it still looks great.


This new Zaku I figure has been modified from the original retail variants as can be seen above. Notice how the different holding hands have been streamlined down to one and how the Heat Hawk is now fully molded onto the right hand, something they can do now that the hands have lost their distinct original colours. We get all the weapon options from the two retail figures save the Knuckle Shield which is honestly a bit disappointing. Still waiting for FW to do the Poison Gas Launcher, it is such an unusual and iconic weapon for the Zaku I.


Overall I don't think anything was lost in the simplification of the Zaku I's hands and Heat Hawk colours but it would have been a marked stepdown if it had been done to the Black Tristars machine where the two are distinctly differently coloured. This review has really wet my appetite for a second Real Type colour set since each figure has two different loadouts (and the Zaku I even three).


Posing with the two retail figures from Converge #21 released in May 2021. I am very happy with all the love Bandai has heaped onto the Zaku I in Converge at this point.






The Converge #Sharp Real Type-family now consists of a healthy selection of eight mobile suits. You can find another ten or so "real-types" in the old Converge line-up including some questionable inclusions like the 00 Qan[T] and the Wing Gundam Zero. Basically what those boil down to are slightly muted colour schemes with metallic effect on gray-coated areas.


Review Update October 2023: Well, bless my good fortune I found another set priced at ¥4000. I figured the price won't go below that so I grabbed another team. Considering the three different weapons choices for the Zaku I could probably convince myself to hunt for a third pack - if only I could figure out what to do with that Gouf. The GM should be able to confiscate someone's beam saber but I am drawing a blank on the Gouf.



Conclusion

While colour swaps of army builder suits aren't likely to be very high up on everyone's wishlists I practically fawn over these things. if I was in charge of Converge I would be milking every official colour scheme out there really hard. :) If you are also in to these things this set is what I would classify as an insta-buy.

12 comments:

  1. Woa, get a load'a this:

    https://bandaicandy.hateblo.jp/entry/20230419_gundam

    Frikkin' NYCE! The Aerial Rebuild is sick and the Magella Attack pack looks great as well. The Zeta Plus test ver. is also cool to see redone but they shoulda made the blue one too. Maybe they will in the future... The backpack gimmick on the S Gundam is a nice touch and it's also great to see the Jegan redone in 2023. This is an overall exciting set as long as we don't get more QC problems (you should see my 20th anniversary RX-78-2...)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Release date in September, with a promise of #24 in the winter (likely December). And some CORE-reissues in between to keep you warm and fuzzy (plus the Jaburo set). This clears up my confusion regarding wave 23. Jaburo remains labelled #sharp23 on the Shokugan page while the actual volume 23 is labelled Sharp23-2.

      It looks like the previous brand manager "108" may have handed over the job to "Eta" as well, best of luck to them both.

      Delete
  2. What is the silhouette for #24, a Re-GZ reboot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure looks like it. The remark by the author also supports it: "developed with the aim of mass-producing the Ζ Gundam".

      Delete
    2. Wish we got a few more optional accessories on the jegan reboot.

      Delete
  3. Dang, they decided to bless us with another release already:

    https://bandaicandy.hateblo.jp/entry/20230501_gundam

    This is AMAZING. Exactly what I wanted. They gotta do more Missing Link and Blue Destiny MS's like the Efreet, Blue Destiny Units 2 and 3, Slave Wraiths, etc. This White Dingo Squad set is a banger - even comes with the hover truck! Tons of options parts! Can't wait for this set...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Moley, I did not see that coming. Man, if they continue like this I can sell off the duplicates that are sitting around waiting to be customized. :) This set is not going to be cheap however, and just how many boxes would you ideally like to buy? 2 or 3?

      Delete
    2. Huh? Naw, just 1. The White Dingo Team was a 4 member team: 3 MS's and 1 operator. This set has the loadout of suits from the Rise From The Ashes game. I wouldn't want to have multiple dingo teams unless they were the Red, Yellow, or Green teams, which I don't think ever made an appearance...

      Delete
    3. With all these great accessories I would definitely want to build at least two squads (as long the price isn't too prohibitive that is).

      Delete
    4. I see you collect other figures as well, so I can understand why the price is a big factor for you. I just straight up pay the cost to be the boss LMAO!! I only collect converge, so I just go all out on the spending even though I get a fair price from my connect in Japan. Today a $700 converge order is arriving and almost all the latest figures from your latest posts are in it.

      I only double up on figures like the Aerial where you need two just to display both shield and armor setups. If the figure can fit all options parts (or at least the majority of the main/more exclusive ones) then I just buy and display one.

      I remember you once telling me you no longer have room to display all the figures which is a huge shame, this is why I'm surprised you'd buy more than one of any figure. You literally have ALL converge figs save for maybe the white base set; it would be amazing to see a picture of them all displayed in order of century and timeline. Perhaps one day...? ^_^

      Delete
    5. Yeah, we are definitely paying to stay in the Gundam figure game lately. I started to skip more and more of the premium Mobile Suit Ensemble figures although I do like to build squads of the grunt suits in the retail releases.

      It makes less sense to buy multiples in Converge I think, except when figures come with so many optional accessories that it feels painful to just chuck most of them back in the box. The Aerial as you mentioned is an example. How to choose.to display the White Dingo GM with either traditional shield and machine gun or with the rocket launcher and spiked shield? Got to have both I figure. : )

      Delete
  4. I really appreciate your site; it is my number one resource for Converge of course. I feel this set is too lame since the back of the figs are plain and the Gouf's shield is lamer than the earlier release with it's one color. If one doesn't have these castings then they may be worth it, but since I already have the regular releases they lack enough printing to make me want 2 identical castings. I'd rather have more graphics printed than extra weapons myself. Now that Dingo Squad is worth my money since there's a new mold in the set.

    ReplyDelete